Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day

“But I trust in that Providence, which has saved us in six troubles yea in seven, to rescue us again from any imminent, though unseen, dangers. Nothing, however, on our own part ought to be left undone.” – George Washington to Benjamin Lincoln

“I feel the most lively sentiments of gratitude to that divine Providence which has graciously interposed for the protection of our Civil and Religious Liberties.” – George Washington

As I was thinking of the coming Memorial Day I happened to also be reading these words from George Washington. He often proscribed his most fervent blessings upon the nation as he thought about the work that he was involved in. I feel that this is most import to remember on this day that we remember and mark those that came before; those in the military and those of our families who often sacrificed to much to keep us marching towards freedom and prosperity. I think of George Washington as the father of the country but also as the first Commander in Chief. He showed what real courage and honor were, a tradition that has been handed down to our military ever since, and which will continue as we support the values and virtues that were so important to our founding fathers.

I find it very interesting the thought that must occur to our veterans that go out to battle. The ideal to know that you might lose your life for someone so far away, who is living a comfortable life because of the torture and pain that you endure, it inspires to me to make my life better, to do more with what I have been given. George Washington sent men into battle that died so that we might be free; so the rights of Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness would live on. That these truths might become a Nation ruled by the dictates of our conscience and be able to live to the full measure of our creation, to be a land of ruled by laws and not of men.

So to all Veterans out there, I thank you from the very bottom of my heart. Thank you to those families of those who serve, who have lost so much, that we might have open before us the endless possibilities of Heaven.

It is up to us the living to remember the sacrifice of all those that came before. Therefore, I leave you with the words of my great mother, whom I also remember on this Memorial Day, “You are blessed to be stubborn, so be stubborn in the ways of righteousness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment